My earliest memory of coconut rice wasn’t all that bad, although I didn’t care for it so much at the time and I was a child but somehow the memory of that coconut rice lived in my head for a while so I expected the subsequent taste to live up to the standard but I was rudely disappointed and I guess that’s when I lost all interest in coconut rice. Years down that road, I went to a friends place and guess what she offered me? “Coconut Rice” well I couldn’t deny, It smelt divine so I dug in and the rest is history;
Today I bring you the nigerian coconut rice recipe with a twist;
What you’ll need:
- 1 Cup Meat stock (chicken stock, turkey stock or beef stock )
- 200g Fresh shrimp
- 3 Cups rice
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil/ Butter or Canola oil
- 2 Whole Coconuts Or Coconut Milk
- 1 Red bell pepper or 4 chilies
- Spring onions
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Green pepper
- 2 Seasoning cubes or more to taste
- Salt to taste
What You Need To Do;
- Place clean rice into a pot, add enough water and cook for 10 minutes. Pour into a seive and douse in cold water to remove excess starch.
- Break and remove coconut skin, Pound in a mortar an squeeze out the juice.
- Pour the milk into a clean pot then add the rice, meat stock, shrimps, seasoning and salt to taste. Cover and leave to cook for 15 minutes till liquid dries.
- While waiting for the rice to cook, chop spring onions, bell peppers and carrot into tiny bits.
- Melt butter or pour vegetable oil into a non stick pan and stir fry chopped vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Add stir fried vegetables into the dry rice and mix together, leave to cook for 5 minutes before turning off the burner.
Recipe Source: Dobby’s Signature.
What twist/Ingredient do you add to your coconut rice to make it tastier, Share with us in the comment section below.[mashshare text="This is my custom share text"]
If you have got an amazing style game and you want to showcase it to the world. Send us an email at [email protected] Who knows? We might just feature you!
Brought to You By MadivasMag